• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 620 posts
  • LocationThe Hill Country

Posted 02 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

I keep hearing how Tanaka may be better than Darvish. Who do you think will sign him?

#2 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:54 AM

I keep hearing how Tanaka may be better than Darvish. Who do you think will sign him?

I don't think he'll be better than Darvish... I heard he's more of a "young Kuroda" but that's still pretty good.  Every day you hear someone else is the new favorite to land him so who knows.  The other day they said Seattle was the favs, now Arizona.  Before that it was the Yankees or Cubs who we're "not going to be denied"

Gives us some good hot stove action though in an otherwise boring free agency season though. 

#3 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

Boring, Choo, Cano, Granderson, Garza, Cruz, among others is boring?

#4 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:23 AM

The Cano signing was big time (although it sucked for me) but the rest don't really move the needle.  Choo overplayed his hand turning down $140M from the Yankees.  He's a great player and I would have loved to have had him on the Bombers but he's not that exciting a name for marginal baseball fans.

I'm interested in seeing what Tampa does with Price, if he gets traded before the start of the year or not.  Seattle has enough prospects to pull that off, plus they're heavy in to Tanaka too.  That would be one of the best rotations in the history of baseball if they can land both.  

#5 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 620 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

I can't believe your Yankmes turned down sending 1 year of Gardener a surplus OF to my Reds for Brandon Phillips.

#6 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:03 AM

There must be more to that story... Either theres more demand for Gardy than I assume or BP wouldnt waive his no trade w/o more $ or something.

I know theyre waiting to see if ARoid's contract will count toward rev sharing or not so thats probably a big part too

#7 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 08:14 PM

Rumors are floating around that one team has offered 100 million for six years

#8 Wreckingcrew

Wreckingcrew

WWWSlut

• HOGS
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

He will go in the 6 years $115 Mil when its all said and done.  Just a hunch on my part.

#9 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 20 January 2014 - 10:08 PM

Rosenthal said something in the neighborhood of $120M+ on Hot Stove the other day.  Rumor has it that the Cubs are the current high bidders but there have been reports of Seattle, Arizona, LA Angels and of course the Yankees being the "front runners" for him, so it's really up in the air.  

#10 Wreckingcrew

Wreckingcrew

WWWSlut

• HOGS
  • 484 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:44 AM

Baseball is printing money again ..... Unreal the dollars being thrown around this year.

#11 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 620 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 11:02 AM

I just hope he goes to an AL team.

#12 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 12:04 PM

At least the Brewers signed Overbay...what a score with 37 year old 1st basemen!

#13 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 01:01 PM

Juan Francisco, Mark Reynolds, Lyle Overbay. That trio should strike fear into the opponents.

#14 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 21 January 2014 - 02:21 PM

Juan Francisco, Mark Reynolds, Lyle Overbay. That trio should strike fear into the opponents.

...in 2009.

#15 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

@Ken_Rosenthal BREAKING: Tanaka to #Yankees, seven years, $155M, opt-out after fourth year.

Yeaaaaaa!!

#16 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:05 AM

Breaking the bank has worked out so well for them lately.

These kind of contracts are whats wrong with the game

#17 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 22 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

Breaking the bank has worked out so well for them lately.

These kind of contracts are whats wrong with the game

Despite being a Yankees fan, I would prefer there be a salary cap in baseball because its not great for the sport but I think teams that get revenue sharing and don't reinvest it are more of what's wrong with the sport more than what the Yanks, Dodgers, Redsox, Angels do.  

It is going to come to a head at some point though if they don't figure it out... its pretty clear revenue sharing doesn't work

#18 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:33 AM

I was just looking at the team payrolls for opening day of 2013

1) New York Yankees-->$228,835,490

2) LA Dodgers-->$216,597,577

3) Philadelphia-->$165,385,714

4) Boston Red Sox-->$150,655,500

5) Detroit-->$148,414,500

I hear people in Milwaukee that I work with, bitching because they did not resign Fielder and Greinke. How could they?

They simply do not have enough money to pay the big boys. I understand the concept behind revenue sharing, but how can Houston compete when Zack Greinke made more then their entire team last season?

#19 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:37 AM

Will Tanaka be more along the lines of Yu Darvish or Daisuke Matsuzaka?

#20 Snake

Snake

• HOGS
  • 370 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 03:07 PM

It's getting really hard to remain a Yankees fan........or baseball in general.  A-rod ruined baseball for me.

We won't pay huge for Cano.......but we will for Tanaka.....and Beltran.......and McCann and Ellsbury.  Our farm system is depleted and the last Yankee I can stand (Jeter) is in his last year.

We'll get 50 games out of Beltran, Less than that out of Ellsbury.   Is this rocket science? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users