Lord Stanley's Cup

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ragin Kajun

Ragin Kajun

• HOGS
  • 414 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:23 PM

Can't wait for tonight's game in Chicago.  Hawks have a chance to nail down the greatest trophy in team sports, at home.  The last time that occurred was the year Jesse Owens went into Berlin and won multiple gold medals in front of the 'master' race.  Yeah, it's been a while.

:rolleyes:

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

That, and Facebook blows.   :emo-coffee:

#2 jTexans

jTexans

• HOGS
  • 401 posts
  • LocationThe Woodlands, TX

Posted 15 June 2015 - 06:12 PM

soccer on ice? 

#3 Ragin Kajun

Ragin Kajun

• HOGS
  • 414 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 10:22 PM

soccer on ice? 

Hardly.

:rolleyes:

Said it before, but winning the Stanley Cup is the single toughest feat in team sports.  It's 2 months of all out war, the ultimate grind for the grandest trophy in all of sports.

media[

• Buckeye likes this

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

That, and Facebook blows.   :emo-coffee:

#4 ComBoz

ComBoz

• HOGS
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 08:21 AM

I watch a lot more hockey than I ever did since my son YoungTallBoz is such a huge fan...I think he watched damn near every minute of playoff hockey even though his beloved Devils were out of it.

It IS a grueling playoff...all 7-game series and incredibly physical, and quite a few of the matchups went the full 7. 

I think more than most any sport though, there is a very strong mystique about the cup and the traditions that surround earning it.  I know that it is considered terrible luck to touch the Cup unless you've actually won it, but only learned this season that players will not even touch their divisional trophies after winning it.  Its not the real trophy they want, and touching it is considered 'the end' of their run and ruins their chances at the real prize.  Sure enough, as YoungTallBoz described, when the division trophies were paraded out at the end of those series, they were placed on a table and the captain just stood next to it, not even touching the table I think.  None of the team came over to it. 

I still remember years ago taking a family trip to Toronto and the Hockey Hall of Fame.  I have a picture of YoungTallBoz standing next to the replica cup they have on display.  Even that, he refused to touch it.  "Mom, I didn't win it...I can't touch it."

• Buckeye likes this

Never push a loyal person to the point where they no longer give a damn....

#5 Buckeye

Buckeye

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:36 AM

Columbus Blue Jackets season ticket holder here, since day one.  I can't wait for the puck to drop.  Is it October yet?

• ComBoz likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users