• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

I'm a lifelong Red Sox fan, but I have to admit that while I don't necessarily root for the guy, I've always respected Derek Jeter as a player.  I also think he is making the right decision to retire at the end of the season.  So given his impending retirement and likely first ballot Hall of Fame status??? (could be wrong on this one).  Where would you rank Jeter all time among shortstops?  I never heard of this site "ranker" but they have a top 30 list with Jeter at #6.  http://www.ranker.co...ops-of-all-time  I think #6 might be too low for Jeter.  The Bleacher report - http://bleacherrepor...-in-mlb-history  - ranks Jeter at #3 overall, which I can see, but my top 20 list would probably be:

1. Honus Wagner

2. Ernie Banks

3. Ozzie Smith

4. Barry Larkin

5. Derek Jeter

6. Cal Ripken, Jr.

7. Robin Yount

8. Joe Cronin

9. PeeWee Reese

10. Luke Appling

11. Alan Trammell

12. Luis Aparicio

13. Tony Fernandez

14. Miguel Tejada

15. Arky Vaughn

16. Omar Vizquel

17. Dave Concepcion

18. Maury Wills

19. Troy Tulowitzki

20. Bert Campaneris

#2 pushrod

pushrod

• HOGS
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSoutheastern Mass

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:05 AM

Going by your list Ben i'd move Jeter ahead of Larkin and maybe even Smith.  Really just splitting hairs among the top five though.

#3 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 11:36 AM

I would keep Jeter at #4 like your list but I would flip-flop Yount and Larkin. Also "The Wizard" would be #1 on my list (completely biased opinion and not factual).

#4 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 15 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

I "penalize" Robin Yount because he switched positions from SS to CF.  If Yount had played his entire career at SS I'd have to rank him #3 overall.

• pushrod likes this

#5 jTexans

jTexans

• HOGS
  • 428 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

1796700_10152258576648708_20954852_n.jpg

#6 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

If I were a MLB GM, I would take Jeter on my team over any other player on that list (removing Honus Wagner cause I really have no idea the player he was).

Ernie Banks was a great power hitter but had little speed and career AVG & OBP of .274 & .330, only batting over .300 twice in his career.

Derek Jeter's career AVG & OBP were .312 & .381, batting over .300 most of his career, with his lowest season being .270, almost Bank's career avg. In addition, watching Jeter play, I know he gives 110% every game and brings intangibles that others simply do not have.

Not a yankees fan but I don't know how anyone can be a baseball fan and not like Jeter.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint

#7 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:22 AM

1796700_10152258576648708_20954852_n.jpg

Love it! We had a discussion the other day on break at work. Who's dating lifestyle would you rather have...Derek Jeter or George Clooney?  Can't really go wrong with either. I threw in Leonardo DiCaprio as a third option. Those 3 dudes have had some stunning women in their beds. 

#8 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

I "penalize" Robin Yount because he switched positions from SS to CF.  If Yount had played his entire career at SS I'd have to rank him #3 overall.

That's a solid reason to drop him down. 

#9 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:40 PM

I still think he is over rated

#10 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:48 PM

ozzie smith is probably the greatest defensive SS ever to play the game but I can't put him in the all-time greats cause he could hit only slightly better than I while having slightly less power.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint

#11 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 20 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

ozzie smith is probably the greatest defensive SS ever to play the game but I can't put him in the all-time greats cause he could hit only slightly better than I while having slightly less power.

Yes, but can you do the backflips?

#12 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

yes, but I call them midget rolls since I cant get that high off the ground.

• pushrod likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users