2014 News

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I guess since we won't be playing this year, we will just have to talk about baseball.

Anyone think Ian Kinsler has hard feelings towards Texas after the trade? Also does anyone think he will put up numbers closer to his past numbers or has he hit the wall? It seems like second baseman hit the wall pretty hard and I'm leaning towards him closing in on the end of his career. But it is a move Detroit probably had to make, knowing they need to sign

Scherzer after this season and needed the money from Fiedlers contract.

#2 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 12:08 PM

His comments were a tad aggressive to say the least. I think Kinsler is in for a decent year. I don't see a .300/30/30 type season ever again from him but something in the 20/20 range for sure. Maybe even a 30 steal season. I assume they will bat him 2nd and that should translate into 100+ runs. I think it was a good deal by Detroit. Fielder did them no favors in the playoffs and his contract is outrageous. Like you said they need to sign Mad Max because he is a lot more valuable than Fielder IMHO.

#3 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 11:46 AM

In roto leagues, where would you draft Billy Hamilton?

He clearly has game changing speed and could make you the favorite to win stolen bases.

But will you have to over pay to get him? What are your projections.

50+ stolen bases

75+ stolen bases

More??

Is he over rated?

#4 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 612 posts
  • LocationThe Hill Country

Posted 11 March 2014 - 12:41 PM

I'd spend a mid-rounder, and I am a homer. I see him having his struggles this year as a rookie. OBP, and BA have never been his strong suit. If he can get on at a .310 clip, 50 is on the low end for him.

#5 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:33 PM

All the experts seem to think he can win you the steals category by himself. I picked him last year in round 21 and was very disappointed with his stay in the minors. I am hearing that he will probably go around the 5th round in my 15 team roto league draft this Sunday. At that price I have no interest in the guy. Like Wile stated, he will probably struggle with getting on base. I do realize the guy stole 13 bases in 13 games with limited ABs. I would probably take a shot on him somewhere around round 12 or later. I would rather stick to my plan of picking as many 20/20 guys as possible along with a few power guys and one or two 30+ steal guys. With this strategy I won't have to reach for players like Jacoby, Hamilton, and Segura.

I think he should get 55+ for sure. With a high mark of around 85 if he gets enough playing time (starts and pinch running). 

#6 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

Oh he's going to start. They really don't have a backup plan if he fails. Who else would play CF for the Reds? Chris Heisy, Skip Schumaker? YUCK!

#7 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:49 AM

Good point Wile. I don't think Heisey can handle playing CF and Skip isn't a full-time answer to anywhere on the diamond.

#8 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 14 March 2014 - 10:53 AM

I've done 4 or 5 mock baseball drafts at this point, the biggest trend that I am seeing is the availability of good starting pitching beyond rounds 6-7.  I've consistently been able to draft David Price in Round 6 and John Lester in Round 9 or 10, Clay Bucholtz much later than that.  I've been the guy to pull the trigger on Masahiro Tanaka in Round 9 or so as well.  Granted, these are mock drafts, but I've also noticed that players like Matt Kemp that are coming back from injury are also undervalued in my opinion this season.  Finally, closers are all over the place and I have no good feel for when to draft closers this year.  I'm seriously considering punting saves this year early on and looking for guys that inherit the closer role during the season that I can claim as free agents.

#9 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 17 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

My team from a 14 team mixed league draft last night (3/16).  Head to head league with 4 keepers - first 4 picks.  I'm pretty happy with the team, but I'll likely be punting steals and holds (stupid stat) early on. First number is draft round, second number is overall pick number.  I drafted out of the #3 spot. The ownership base is mixed in this league from very knowledgeable to straight newbie (drafted 9 Red Sox players).  Most of the owners are extremely active though so it makes for a competitive league. My pick of Tanaka in the 7th received mixed reviews on both sides. 

1. (3) Miguel Cabrera  (Det - 3B)

2. (26) Giancarlo Stanton  (Mia - OF)

3. (31) Félix Hernández  (Sea - SP)

4. (54) José Fernández  (Mia - SP)

5. (59) José Bautista (Tor - OF)

6. (82) Matt Kemp (LAD - OF)

7. (87) Masahiro Tanaka (NYY - SP)

8. (110) Brian McCann (NYY - C)

9. (115) Glen Perkins (Min - RP)

10. (138) José Abreu (CWS - 1B)

11. (143) Jonathan Papelbon (Phi - RP)

12. (166) Jurickson Profar (Tex - 2B,3B,SS)

13. (171) Justin Masterson (Cle - SP)

14. (194) Howie Kendrick (LAA - 2B)

15. (199) Yovani Gallardo (Mil - SP)

16. (222) Víctor Martínez (Det - 1B)

17. (227) Wandy Rodríguez (Pit - SP)

18. (250) Dan Haren (LAD - SP)

19. (255) Alejandro De Aza (CWS - OF)

20. (278) Josh Johnson (SD - SP)

21. (283) Travis Wood (ChC - SP)

22. (306) Javier Báez (ChC - SS)

23. (311) Rajai Davis (Det - OF)

24. (334) Joel Peralta (TB - RP)

25. (339) Trevor Plouffe (Min - 3B)

#10 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:35 AM

Patrick Corbin may need Tommy John surgery. Major blow for Arizona to lose your ace.

Where would the list look of young pitchers that have needed the surgery and will miss this season

1) Matt Harvey

2) Patrick Corbin

3) Jarrod Parker

4) Kris Medlen

5) Brandon Beachy

I'm not sure who I may have missed.

#11 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:22 PM

Jose Fernandez is the latest young pitcher who may need TJ surgery.

It's sad to see the amount of young studs breaking down

#12 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:13 PM

The human elbow is just not meant to take the pounding people put on them now for baseball, with all the year round throwing programs.

#13 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:44 PM

The human elbow is just not meant to take the pounding people put on them now for baseball, with all the year round throwing programs.

These pitchers are all on pitch counts. I think there are more injuries now than years ago when pitchers pitched 

More innings.

#14 Wile E. Coyote

Wile E. Coyote

• HOGS
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:51 PM

Its not the game innings pitched. Its all the throwing they do in between, and through little league and high school. Pitchers didn't used to go year round at younger ages. They do now.

#15 Outlaw Dogs

Outlaw Dogs

• HOGS
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Back in the day, the star pitchers, coming up through school, were also the Shortstops when they weren't pitching, were the Football team's QB, the basketball team's PG. They used their arms in different way, but did it throughout the year. I am thinking that it's not happening now and that the star pitchers are just pitching and they are wearing out their arms too early.

But I also believe that the Doctors are too quick to just put them under the knife. A guy's shoulder hurts, lets cut him open. N o more resting him

#16 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:13 PM

Condolences go out to the St Louis Cardinals and the family of Oscar Taveras. Killed in a car accident at the age of 22 along with his girl friend.

:(

#17 Dreadlock

Dreadlock

• HOGS
  • 192 posts

Posted 28 October 2014 - 09:44 PM

Very tragic news. I hope that it was strictly bad weather or road conditions that caused the accident. 

#18 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:07 AM

Madison Bumgarner.

One of the best World Series pitching performances I can remember in years
Simply briliant

#19 Ragin Kajun

Ragin Kajun

• HOGS
  • 414 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:15 AM

He reminds me a lot of Randy Johnson, similar demeanor, similar style, similar great results.

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

That, and Facebook blows.   :emo-coffee:

#20 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:18 AM

On Mike&Mike they were saying best

Madison Bumgarner.

One of the best World Series pitching performances I can remember in years
Simply briliant

On Mike&Mike they were talking best performance in 40+ years.  Tops Orel Hershiser.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users