• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:53 PM

Missing.

One Rat/Chipmunk trap, last seen outside my house, next to my wood pile. Approx 7:00 am this morning

Distinguishing features-->Peanut Butter and chopped peanuts in trap and may have chipmunk on other end of trap.

If seen call me asap before my neighbors come knocking at my door.

Reward offered.

PS (If Chipmunk looks angry, please keep trap)

#2 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:01 AM

Lesson learned
When I purchase new trap at Menard's this weekend, tie trap to tree

#3 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Effing ground squirrel is going to be the end of me.  They used to set up shop in the front yard.  Although annoying as hell, I had coverage when shooting those d@mn things.  I think I killed 3 with 4 shots one summer.  Now, they are in the backyard, which is wide open (former corn field).  I have, probably, taken 25 shots at that thing.  All he does in torment me.  I had 4 open shots at him in about 3 minute span...missed them all.  30 yards with pellet gun I am not a sure-shot.  I need a scope.

#4 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:09 AM

The chipmunks have holes all over my yard, and they bore holes right under the concrete.

They are nothing but a nuisance.

#5 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

The chipmunks have holes all over my yard, and they bore holes right under the concrete.

They are nothing but a nuisance.

They LOVE landscaping.  I added some hastas and rhubarb (to help cover the septic clean-out and vent tubes).  3 more holes.  Unsure if they are under my concrete or if those are toad holes.  I trapped two in my downspouts now.  Killed them both.  Pumped the pellet gun a little much and blasted holes in the downspouts.  Caught one in a glue trap in the garage, I set for mice.  Blew his brains all over the drywall...still some marks from that.  Then shot those three in the yard about 3 years ago.

On another note, I caught 4 mice on one glue trap...score!  Baby ones, but who cares.  The pest control guy gave me a lecture about how inhumane glue traps are.

#6 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

My guess is a squirell ran off with my trap not a chipmunk.

The trap was to big for a chipmunk to drag it very far and to big to go down a hole.

I tried the bucket of water trick. Put a bucket of water and load it with peanuts and a ramp. They will go after the peanuts and drown.

I know it works for mice since 3 already have walked the plank to their deaths. But the chipmunks have not taken the plunge just yet.

#7 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

My guess is a squirell ran off with my trap not a chipmunk.

The trap was to big for a chipmunk to drag it very far and to big to go down a hole.

I tried the bucket of water trick. Put a bucket of water and load it with peanuts and a ramp. They will go after the peanuts and drown.

I know it works for mice since 3 already have walked the plank to their deaths. But the chipmunks have not taken the plunge just yet.

Never heard of the bucket thing.  My neighbor put a hose down a hole, waited for them to come out, and shot them.  I did not think that would work.

I trapped a mouse in a cooler.  Did not know what to do with it.  So, I filled the cooler with water and drown it.

#8 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Never heard of the bucket thing.  My neighbor put a hose down a hole, waited for them to come out, and shot them.  I did not think that would work.

I trapped a mouse in a cooler.  Did not know what to do with it.  So, I filled the cooler with water and drown it.

Menards does sell mouse traps.

#9 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

this_real_life_chipmunk_fighting_off_a_c

• Wreckingcrew likes this

#10 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Menards does sell mouse traps.

Glue traps are the only things that seem to work for me.  The cooler was not, entirely, on purpose.  It just happened to run from me and jump/fell into the cooler, so I used it to trap him.  Kind of like with I caught one in the house with an ice cream bucket.  They are quick, but it you get lucky with timing, you can sometimes get them.

#11 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

darth-vader-riding-a-chipmunk.jpg

#12 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 09:48 AM

Sadly, I am allergic to cats.  Otherwise I'd put on in the basement and never have to feed it, I swear.  Newer house, with a finished basement, but the lot used to be a corn field and I still have corn fields on two sides of me and a prairie to the back.

#13 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Glue traps are the only things that seem to work for me.  The cooler was not, entirely, on purpose.  It just happened to run from me and jump/fell into the cooler, so I used it to trap him.  Kind of like with I caught one in the house with an ice cream bucket.  They are quick, but it you get lucky with timing, you can sometimes get them.

Something about you chasing a mouse around the yard and into a cooler, strikes me as comical.

The traps I get usually kill them dead. But I caught a mouse the other day and it caught him in his lower back.
He was just staring at me as I opened up the cupboard. I opened the trap and let him go, into my water bucket.

I gave him a fighting chance. Figuring if he could get out of the bucket he was free. He lost.

#14 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

as opposed to killing them live?

#15 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:19 PM

as opposed to killing them live?

Leave it to an accountant, to kill a perfectly good topic

You must be fun at parties.

• PackMan likes this

#16 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Something about you chasing a mouse around the yard and into a cooler, strikes me as comical.

I sure it is...even more, given the fact that I am super-pissed.  No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of them.

#17 PackMan

PackMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:24 AM

I sure it is...even more, given the fact that I am super-pissed.  No matter what I do, I cannot get rid of them.

get some outside barn cats. make a small shed for them to live in, in the winter.

#18 BGG

BGG

• HOGS
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:10 AM

We have squirrels that my wife feeds with a feeder.  They have never been a problem.  Now, moles and field mice on the other hand are a pain in the ass.  We got a cat.  Between our cat and the neighbor's cat the problem was solved.

We had flies this year bad for some reason.  I ordered this fly trap off Amazon and hung it high in a tree.  This thing must be irresistible to a fly.  They flock to it and then drown.  

#19 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:13 AM

which fly trap?

#20 BGG

BGG

• HOGS
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:50 AM

which fly trap?

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=fly trap

I never knew there were that many flies around.  I don't know about the emptying part.  May be easier to just buy a new one.  That would be a pretty nasty job.  I want to say it had Prime shipping when I bought it.  There could be another with the Prime shipping somewhere on Amazon. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users