• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

I am getting ready to take the plunge from grilling to true BBQ.  I am leaning toward charcoal over gas and was looking for a recommendations on a unit.  I do not think i want electric and am willing to invest in a temperature regulator to ease the burden a bit.

Any recommendations?

#2 jTexans

jTexans

• HOGS
  • 428 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

Green egg

#3 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

I have heard great things, but not looking to spend that much on the cooker itself.

#4 Raging Furball

Raging Furball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA New Home for the 49ers

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:36 PM

I do the charcoal route...  Best coals to use so far..  Safeway match light brand... better than Kingsford...  Last longer too..  Kingsford burns out too fast...

#5 Rball_63

Rball_63

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

If you are going to step up, I'd recommend a wood smoker with indirect heat. There are some nice one's available on the market and most costing less than a green egg. Choose your wood carefully. I only use oak (or occasional cherry). Most any fruit or nut wood is good, i.e.: hickory, pecan, apple, peach.

I smoke mostly full briskets and pork butts, about 200# per week for my restaurant. Low and slow is the rule of thumb. 225-250 degrees for the duration of the smoke. Plan on about 10 hours for a full packer brisket and 13 for pork butts. I do my own dry rubs for both. The acidic nature of certain spices helps facilitate the breakdown of the meat and connective tissue making for fall apart tenderness.

I also smoke mine in disposable aluminum pans, uncovered. This helps with the smoking process as well as maintaining those savory juices that I put back into the meat in warmers. It is imperative the internal temperature reaches 190 for pork and 180 for brisket. Not only to cook away any bacteria that may have been in the meat, but also allows for the breakdown of the meat and CTs ensuring mouth-watering tenderness.

Smoke away my friend.

Chief Smoker

R-Smokehouse

#6 The Hog

The Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:56 PM

When we moved to the mountains up here, I replaced my old worn out charcoal/water smoker with an electric insulated MasterCraft.   It took some ine tuning to get the recipes right, but I love the ribs that come out of this thing.  I can control the cooking temp regardless of how warm or cold it is outside, and during colder months, I can also cold smoke sausages, cheese or fish.

I do realize that the purists out there would frown on anything that is not a stick burner, but I am burning sticks in the pan and this thing produces consistent temps without much of effort on smoke day to control temps.  I do not think that this thing would hold a full Brisket, so if that is your goal, you need something bigger.   As I mostly cook ribs and chicken, with the occasional turkey or pork butt, this thing works great for me.  

The Kansas City Rib genre is where I specialize, and I would put those sweet spicy baby backs up against anyone.

I also echo RBall in the throw away pan.  Good advice for anyone cooking larger items.

Give away secret for those home smokers out there - Take your items directly off the smoker, and break them into meal sized portions including juices and sauce.

Any of the mass market shrink wrap things work, I double wrap them and freeze.    When mealtime comes around, take that frozen package (do not open) and boil until hot all the way thru.  (Single shrink wraps can leak, that is why the double).    When you open that baby up weeks down the road, it tastes almost as good as the day you puled it off the smoker.     This is the best way have ever found to enjoy that fresh smoked flavor and tenderness as a left over.  

Try it, you will be amazed. 

I like to take about  1/2 rack of baby backs, leave them in the foil wrap I finished them in and shrink wrap.   Everyone in my family asks me if I have any to give away.   For Mom, I cut those slabs into only 3-4 ribs for the final foil wrap and have actually snail mailed them frozen in dry ice.    Nothing quite like giving your Mom a tasty rib from 500 miles away.

#7 The Hog

The Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 27 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

Hmmmmmm, I just ate spaghetti and just typing that made my mouth water.   

#8 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hmmmmmm, I just ate spaghetti and just typing that made my mouth water.   

It does sound very tasty!

#9 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think i can get a webber smokey mountain for $160, just need to see if it is the model with the temperature gromet.

Anyone have any experience with a temperature control fan?

#10 BGG

BGG

• HOGS
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:45 AM

When we moved to the mountains up here, I replaced my old worn out charcoal/water smoker with an electric insulated MasterCraft. It took some ine tuning to get the recipes right, but I love the ribs that come out of this thing. I can control the cooking temp regardless of how warm or cold it is outside, and during colder months, I can also cold smoke sausages, cheese or fish.

I do realize that the purists out there would frown on anything that is not a stick burner, but I am burning sticks in the pan and this thing produces consistent temps without much of effort on smoke day to control temps. I do not think that this thing would hold a full Brisket, so if that is your goal, you need something bigger. As I mostly cook ribs and chicken, with the occasional turkey or pork butt, this thing works great for me.

The Kansas City Rib genre is where I specialize, and I would put those sweet spicy baby backs up against anyone.

I also echo RBall in the throw away pan. Good advice for anyone cooking larger items.

Give away secret for those home smokers out there - Take your items directly off the smoker, and break them into meal sized portions including juices and sauce.
Any of the mass market shrink wrap things work, I double wrap them and freeze. When mealtime comes around, take that frozen package (do not open) and boil until hot all the way thru. (Single shrink wraps can leak, that is why the double). When you open that baby up weeks down the road, it tastes almost as good as the day you puled it off the smoker. This is the best way have ever found to enjoy that fresh smoked flavor and tenderness as a left over.

Try it, you will be amazed.

I like to take about 1/2 rack of baby backs, leave them in the foil wrap I finished them in and shrink wrap. Everyone in my family asks me if I have any to give away. For Mom, I cut those slabs into only 3-4 ribs for the final foil wrap and have actually snail mailed them frozen in dry ice. Nothing quite like giving your Mom a tasty rib from 500 miles away.

I have considered an electric smoker. Glad to hear a good review.

#11 Philly Joe

Philly Joe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 04:50 PM

DAMN! I am hungry after reading this thread!

"Knowing is half the battle."

#12 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 09:44 PM

well, i got the smokey mountain and had some great smelling st louis ribs going, and an hour in, i got a call my father in la had a heart attack and died.  My neighbor took them off 6 hours later and told me they were great.

Will try again in a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users