• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

What are your thoughts on this kid, is he the next big thing or will he be another college stud/pro flame out?  His interviews seemed to impress, but was it just an act?

#2 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Given his image as a partier, I have to wonder if he has the work-ethic required of an NFL starting quarterback. I'm thinking he just won't cut it at the NFL level.

#3 Giantbear

Giantbear

proof reader

• HOGS
  • 131 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:31 PM

From all i read, he was ready for the combine and interviews and presents as though he is ready to leave his younger self behind, i just wonder if it is an act or not.  He has supposedly been working the last month on transitioning to a pocket passer.

#4 49erFaithful

49erFaithful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:25 AM

He'll be okay in the league. Not good enough of a pocket passer to survive and thrive constantly. Look at what Mizzou did to him this past year. They completely neutralized him by keeping him in the pocket and then hitting him in the mouth when he left it. I would rather take Russel Wilson IMHO (easy to say now hes an effing superbowl champ.... grumble grumble)

#5 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:04 AM

From all i read, he was ready for the combine and interviews and presents as though he is ready to leave his younger self behind, i just wonder if it is an act or not.  He has supposedly been working the last month on transitioning to a pocket passer.

Great another kid that will be forced to be a pocket passer. So many coaches think they know best. They want to change a player from what he does best,

to what he should do. Leave the kid alone. He brings an excitement to the game and has that special factor that you rarely see in a quarterback.

#6 BGG

BGG

• HOGS
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:24 PM

Great another kid that will be forced to be a pocket passer. So many coaches think they know best. They want to change a player from what he does best,

to what he should do. Leave the kid alone. He brings an excitement to the game and has that special factor that you rarely see in a quarterback.

I agree.  I think Manziel goes on to be a star if he can hold it together personally.  He has the "it" factor.

#7 kiddlattimer

kiddlattimer

Starting Defense!

• HOGS / Admin
  • 424 posts
  • LocationAlbany, NY

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm more concerned about him flopping due to injury than his personality.  He's not the first and certainly wont be the last guy in the league who acts like that.

A month or so ago I heard someone in the know (I forget who, may have been Tony Pauline or someone like that) say that some teams told him privately that they're concerned that Manzell is ALREADY injured from taking a pounding in college, and obviously he'll get hit more in the pros.  

I think he'll be pretty damn good while he's healthy though, especially if he ends up in a place like Cleveland throwing to Josh Gordon and Jordan Cameron

#8 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:15 PM

I would not try to change him into a pocket quarterback. What running quarterbacks need to be taught is to live for another day. When they are running

downfield and ready to get blasted. They need to go down and not try to prove they are Superman. Michael Vick has still not learned. Thats one of my

fears with Johnny is he will try to prove his toughness and get those couple extra yards.

#9 Outlaw Dogs

Outlaw Dogs

• HOGS
  • 188 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

He will be the next stud QB, you go ahead, draft him, and watch him be awesome. I am just going to stand here and watch.

#10 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

I would gamble on Johnny over Blake Bottles who is the new hot pick at 1.1
  • Blatzman likes this

#11 49erFaithful

49erFaithful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 February 2014 - 02:23 AM

I am not so sure. Fantasy-wise, yes (and honestly it ultimately depends on where he lands) but Blake did a LOT with little help at UCF. Storm Johnson was just OK and fed off BB. I was impressed the few times I saw him live

#12 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 07:54 AM

I am not so sure. Fantasy-wise, yes (and honestly it ultimately depends on where he lands) but Blake did a LOT with little help at UCF. Storm Johnson was just OK and fed off BB. I was impressed the few times I saw him live

Worthy of the #1 overall pick?

#13 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:09 AM

Ron Jaworski on Johnny Manziel (from phillymag.com)

"I'm a big believer in Nick Foles, but who knows?" Jaworski said. "Manziel may fall. I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you. I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me."

Pretty strong statement from JAWs here.  Given it's an Eagles focused piece, I wonder if JAWs is taken out on context in that he just doesn't believe Manziel is a good fit for Philly? 

#14 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 09:16 AM

I agree.  I think Bortles is being over-hyped.

#15 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

Ron Jaworski on Johnny Manziel (from phillymag.com)

"I'm a big believer in Nick Foles, but who knows?" Jaworski said. "Manziel may fall. I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you. I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me."

Pretty strong statement from JAWs here.  Given it's an Eagles focused piece, I wonder if JAWs is taken out on context in that he just doesn't believe Manziel is a good fit for Philly? 

I think he needs to explain more in depth. Does he think he is to short,,,runs to much and will ge injured, has bad throwing motion. But to say he has not done a whole lot after winning the Heisman and putting up monster numbers is pretty weak. Plus as an analyst making those kind of statements he should probably look at more then 5 games.

#16 BGG

BGG

• HOGS
  • 1,194 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:30 PM

I think he needs to explain more in depth. Does he think he is to short,,,runs to much and will ge injured, has bad throwing motion. But to say he has not done a whole lot after winning the Heisman and putting up monster numbers is pretty weak. Plus as an analyst making those kind of statements he should probably look at more then 5 games.

How are you a football guy and have only watched 5 A&M games over the last two years?....come on now.

• Ray likes this

#17 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:42 PM

I was going to write the same thing as BGG. I'm no an analyst and I've seen more than five of his games.

I've met Jaws. He is a very nice guy, was a fantastic speaker for our father/son Communion Breakfast and his son is a member of my Italian club (before anyone asks, we have a 20% social membership, ie- non-Italians). I love his analysis of most things football, love his passion and enthusiasm, and he can breakdown football so even the non-diehards can understand. But I still have a sour taste in my mouth cause his glowing support of how great Vince Young will be caused me to trade up (i think) & draft VY early in the D6 dynasty league. Yep....that didn't pan out to well. Don't get me wrong, everyone misses on players here and there. But not everyone messes with my fantasy team!

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint

#18 49erFaithful

49erFaithful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:54 PM

Worthy of the #1 overall pick?

No but I was trying to say he's better that JFF IMO

#19 Blatzman

Blatzman

• HOGS
  • 470 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:21 AM

How are you a football guy and have only watched 5 A&M games over the last two years?....come on now.

Maybe the 5 games that truly count.  I mean if he's putting up 400 yards and 5 TDs against a DII school...who cares.

#20 Razor

Razor

• HOGS
  • 1,758 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Maybe the 5 games that truly count.  I mean if he's putting up 400 yards and 5 TDs against a DII school...who cares.

Weak argument. In his two years of playing he really only had 3 bad games. Twice against LSU and he isn't the first to struggle against the LSU defense,

and once against Missouri.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users