14 replies to this topic

#1 The Hog

The Hog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 June 2015 - 09:33 AM

OK,  You have a double digit pick in your 12 team PPR competition draft.   (10/11/12)

Is anyone out there going to reprise the zero RB theory that made the rounds last year or is that proven to be DOA?

Who are you taking with that late 1st round pick?

#2 Ragin Kajun

Ragin Kajun

• HOGS
  • 414 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 08:53 PM

If I'm in that spot I go with two stud WR like OBJ, Dez, Julio or Calvin if they are still available.  Otherwise I grab one of those plus either Foster or Forte on the turn, or Shady if he is still there.

'Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.'

That, and Facebook blows.   :emo-coffee:

#3 Jigsaw

Jigsaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 June 2015 - 11:54 AM

Ordinarily I do all I can too go RB/RB with my first two picks.

But after seeing the guy who finished 2nd in my BML go stud WR/WR with the last pick of the 1st round and first pick of the 2nd, I'm serious considering that strategy if I get those selections this year. 

Up until now you've been playing fantasy like it wasn't REAL, Now I challenge you to a little game...

#4 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:36 PM

I usually leave those picks with two wideouts, but this year there is a good mix of rbs/wrs at the back end which could go in any order. I did a quick look at players and my top 13 (if picking 12&13) are 6 rbs, 6 wrs, & gronk.  I would be happy with any mix of these players.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint

#5 Ray

Ray

• HOGS
  • 196 posts
  • LocationNJ

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:37 PM

I usually leave those picks with two wideouts, but this year there is a good mix of rbs/wrs at the back end which could go in any order. I did a quick look at players and my top 13 (if picking 12&13) are 6 rbs, 6 wrs, & gronk.  I would be happy with any mix of these players except RB/RB.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." Verbal Kint

#6 Capn

Capn

• HOGS
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:24 PM

A few years ago I want against the norm and did a QB/TE combination when I was towards the bottom.  Lead me to win the whole thing.  (Thanks Graham/Brees)

This year, I might try something similar with the WR/WR combo and see how it goes.  

I don't think any strategy is truly DOA, if the player thinks it's the right strategy.

• PackMan likes this

#7 PackMan

PackMan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:11 AM

I agree with CapN it's almost more about what you do later toget that stud wr or breakout RB later not so much in those first two picks. Although the years I went with either a QB or TE in the 1st/2nd rd, I felt like I was scrambling to catch up the entire draft

#8 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

I'm becoming more convinced that WR/WR is not a legitimate strategy from the 12 position or the turn in a snake draft.  A couple of reasons:

1. You'll eventually need to draft at least 1 RB (more likely 2) to satisfy starting position requirements.  The drop-off in quality between the RB you could have drafted at 12 or 13 and the RB you'll end up with at 36 or 37 is huge.  
  2. This strategy is a tease because it appears to work in "Mock Drafts."  Mock Drafts are great for practice and to get a feel for where certain players may be selected, but they are not the end all.  Plus you can't take them too seriously because people (like me) try different strategies just to see what the end results might be.  The RB available in a Mock Draft at the end of Round 3 is complete different than the RB available in Round 3 of your actual draft.
  3. At least one guy in your league will catch on to what you are doing and start hoarding RBs in an attempt to screw you over or just with a unrealistic fantasy of trading the player to you down the road for one of your top WRs.
  4. The long gap between your picks on the turn often require you to grab a player you really like earlier than ADP.  
  5. As Cap'n said previously - you'll be trying to play catch up for the rest of the draft.

I drank the Kool-Aid last year on WR/WR theorizing that since the NFL was much more of a passing league now, the best bet would be to grab those top WRs early for the guaranteed points and make the best of available RBs later on.  Huge mistake on my part.  Like it or not you need that one RB, even at the end of Round 1 that you'll need to lock in as your every week starter.

Now as for my WR/RB/WR/WR strategy.....  :)

#9 Capn

Capn

• HOGS
  • 82 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

I will admit the two RBs I had were decent.  They weren't going to win me a game but wouldn't lose it either.  I think I had Bradshaw and some nobody.

In the first two rounds you should come away with 2 studs or studs-in-training, then it comes down to shrewd you can be in the later rounds.  the guy hoarding RBs means he is losing out on other talent.  There is no one true formula.  Every draft is different so knowing how other owners play helps to make a decision on strategy.

#10 rynoman01

rynoman01

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2015 - 11:20 PM

I drafted last night and went WR/WR in the 8th spot...but Wrs are going faster than ever....try to be flexible and see what falls.

From the 12 spot I just dont see Julio, OBJ or Demaryius falling

The guy at 12 last night if he went WR WR he would have looked like

Calvin

AJ Green

Lamar Miller

Ellington

He picked

Calvin

Forte  (couldve had Lynch

Hopkins (could of had Edelman/Hopkins

Lamar Miller

#11 Raging Furball

Raging Furball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA New Home for the 49ers

Posted 09 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Every draft is always different.  Even if it is the same people in 2 drafts.  Owners change their strategy depending on scoring system and if it's a dynasty, keeper, or straight redraft.  I am almost inclined to go RB/WR or WR/RB with first two picks.  It really will depend on who falls to you at the pick.

#12 Who's Your Daddy

Who's Your Daddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSnellville Ga

Posted 09 August 2015 - 01:49 PM

I have the #2 in a 10 team 1 keeper (Im Keeping E. Sanders, because my RB's are SHIT )  I really want to go RB/RB with my first 2 picks but dang if D. Thomas or Megatron are available at 1.02 I may jump on them.. The guy that has Calvin also has AP so one of them will be available. and the guy that has D. Thomas also has A. Rodgers and has a Man crush on Rodgers so I think Thomas will be there. and the guy that has Dez also has Julio and I think he will keep Julio because hes a homer!! 

I really should go RB/RB but it will be hard to let Cavin / Dez or Thomas go at 1.02 !!

Thoughts? PPR Standard scoring!

"During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball." - Mickey Mantle

#13 Bengrimm

Bengrimm

• HOGS
  • 332 posts
  • LocationWestern MA

Posted 12 August 2015 - 09:20 AM

I have the #2 in a 10 team 1 keeper (Im Keeping E. Sanders, because my RB's are SHIT )  I really want to go RB/RB with my first 2 picks but dang if D. Thomas or Megatron are available at 1.02 I may jump on them.. The guy that has Calvin also has AP so one of them will be available. and the guy that has D. Thomas also has A. Rodgers and has a Man crush on Rodgers so I think Thomas will be there. and the guy that has Dez also has Julio and I think he will keep Julio because hes a homer!! 

I really should go RB/RB but it will be hard to let Cavin / Dez or Thomas go at 1.02 !!

Thoughts? PPR Standard scoring!

Position requirements?  Personally, your #1 pick should be best available player.

#14 Who's Your Daddy

Who's Your Daddy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationSnellville Ga

Posted 12 August 2015 - 04:12 PM

Roster = 2 QB's (Start 1) 4 RB's (Start 2) 6 WR/TE (Start 3) 2 Team D's (Start 1) 2 Kickers (Start 1)

"During my 18 years I came to bat almost 10,000 times. I struck out about 1,700 times and walked maybe 1,800 times. You figure a ballplayer will average about 500 at bats a season. That means I played seven years without ever hitting the ball." - Mickey Mantle

#15 Raging Furball

Raging Furball

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 125 posts
  • LocationSanta Clara, CA New Home for the 49ers

Posted 13 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

Position requirements?  Personally, your #1 pick should be best available player.

My $0.02...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Draft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users